Lt Col Abraham Bonnell established the Bonnell Tavern in Clinton NJ in 1768. In 1775 in the tavern he assembled one of the first regiments of Minutemen to fight in the Revolutionary war. The tavern became a recruiting center for the war effort and General Maxwell trained troops and established encampments in the grounds around the tavern. Military court trials were held here. The tavern became a voting center, postal stop, stagecoach stop and hotel until the 1870s. Before Clinton was established in 1865, travelers would refer to the area as Bonnell’s or Col Abe’s.
The current owners of the tavern are restoring the tavern. This blog captures their restoration efforts.